Origins of Computers, Pre and Post 1900 (Reading Materials)
- Sketch of the Analytical Engine invented by Charles Babbage- By L. F. Menabrea [DOCX File]
- Computable Numbers: A Guide- By Jack Copeland [DOC File]
- The Other Turing Machine- By B. E. Carpenter and R. W. Doran [PDF File]
- On Computable Numbers, with an Application to the Entscheidungsproblem- By A. M. Turing [PDF File]
- First Draft of a Report on the EDVAC- By J. Von Neumann [PDF File]
- The Origins, Uses, and Fate of the EDVAC- By M. R. Williams [PDF File]
- The Computer as Von Neumann Planned It- By M. D. Godfrey and D. F. Hendry [PDF File]
- A Symbolic Analysis of Relay Switching Circuits- By Claude E. Shannon [PDF File]
Computer Architecture in the 20th and 21st Centuries (Reading Materials)
- The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering, Anniversary Edition (2nd Edition)- By Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
- Computer Structures: Principles and Examples- By Siewiorek, D., C. G. Bell, and A. Newell [PDF File]
Instruction Level Parallelism and Pipelining (Reading Material)
- Computer Organization and Design, Fourth Edition: The Hardware/Software Interface- By David A. Patterson and John L. Hennessy.
Memory Hierarchy & Chip Multiprocessors (Reading Materials)
- Fundamentals of Parallel Computer Architecture, Multichip and Multicore Systems- By Yan Solihin [Link]
- Simultaneous Multithreading: Maximizing On-Chip Parallelism- By Dean M. Tullsen, Susan J. Eggers, and Henry M. Levy [PDF File]
- The Case for a Single-Chip Multiprocessor- By Kunle Olukotun, Basem A. Nayfeh, Lance Hammond, Ken Wilson, and Kunyung Chang [PDF File]
- Chip Multithreading: Opportunities and Challenges- By Lawrence Spracklen and Santosh G. Abraham [PDF File]
- An Intra-Tile Cache Set Balancing Scheme- By Mohammad Hammoud, Sangyeun Cho, and Rami G. Melhem [PDF File]
- Dynamic Cache Clustering for Chip Multiprocessors- By Mohammad Hammoud, Sangyeun Cho, and Rami G. Melhem [PDF File]
A Walk-Through Computer Architectures from Digestible to the Largest and Fastest (Reading Materials)
- 1965 - "Moore's Law" Predicts the Future of Integrated Circuits [Link]
- Bell's Law for the Birth and Death of Computer Classes: A Theory of the Computer's Evolution- By Gordon Bell [PDF File]
- Effect of Technology on Near Term Computer Structures- By C. Gordon Bell, Robert Chen and Satish Rege [PDF File]
- IEEE History Center's Global History Network: STARS:Rise and Fall of Minicomputers- By C. Gordon Bell [Link]
- Validity of the Single Processor Approach to Achieving Large Scale Computing Capabilities- By DR. GENE M. AMDAHL [PDF File]
- A Cubic-Millimeter Energy-Autonomous Wireless Intraocular Pressure Monitor- By Gregory Chen, Hassan Ghaed, Razi-ul Haque, Michael Wieckowski, Yejoong Kim, Gyouho Kim, David Fick, Daeyeon Kim, Mingoo Seok, Kensall Wise, David Blaauw, Dennis Sylvester [PDF File]
- REEVALUATING AMDAHL'S LAW- By JOHN L. GUSTAFSON [PDF File]
- The Scaled-Sized Model: A Revision of Amdahl's Law- By JOHN L. GUSTAFSON [PDF File]
Mobile Hardware Technologies (Reading Materials)
- The Mobile Sensing Platform: An Embedded Activity Recognition System- By Choudhury, T., Borriello, G., Consolvo, S., Haehnel, D., Harrison, B., Hemingway, B., Hightower, J.,Klasnja, P., Koscher, K., LaMarca, A., Landay, J., LeGrand, L., Lester, J., Rahimi, A., Rea, A., and Wyatt, D. IEEE Pervasive Computing 7(2), April-June, 2008.
- IBM's Linux Watch: The Challenges of Miniaturization- By Hansen, T.R., Bardram, J.E., Soegaard, M. IEEE Pervasive Computing 5(3), July-September, 2006.
- Application Design for Wearable and Context-Aware Computers- By Smailagic, A., Siewiorek, D. IEEE Pervasive Computing 1(4), October-December, 2002.
- The Evolution of Army Wearable Computers- By Zieniewicz, M.J., Johnson, D.C., Wong, D.C., Flatt, J.D. IEEE Pervasive Computing 1(4), October-December, 2002.
- Synthesis lectures on Mobile & Pervasive Computing (Morgan & Claypool, free access to all Carnegie Mellon students and faculty- By Dan Siewiorek, Asim Smailagic, and Thad Starner [Link]
End-to-End Application Considerations (Reading Materials)
- From Informing to Remembering: Ubiquitous Systems in Interactive Museums- By Fleck, M., Frid, M., Kindberg, T., O'Brien-Strain, E., Rajani, R., Spasojevic, M. IEEE Pervasive Computing 1(2), April-June, 2002.
- Moving Out of the Lab: Deploying Pervasive Technologies in a Hospital- Narayanaswami, C., Kamijoh, K., Raghunath, M., Inoue, T., Cipolla, T., Sanford, J., Schlig, E.,Venkiteswaran, S., Guniguntala, D., Kulkarni, V., and Yamazaki, K. IEEE Computer 35(1), January, 2002.
- FireWxNet: A Multi-Tiered Portable Wireless System for Monitoring Weather Conditions in Wildland Fire Environments- By Hartung, C., Han, R., Seielstad, C., Holbrook, S. In Proceedings of MobiSys 2006: The Fourth International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services. Uppsala, Sweden, June, 2006.
- Air-dropped Sensor Network for Real-time High-fidelity Volcano Monitoring- By Song, W., Huang, R., Xu, M., Ma, A., Shirazi, B., LaHusen, R. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (MobiSys). Krakow, Poland, June, 2009.
- Public Ubiquitous Computing Systems: Lessons from the e-Campus Display Deployments- By Storz, O., Friday, A., Davies, N., Finney, J., Sas, C., Sheridan, J. IEEE Pervasive Computing 5(3), July-September, 2006.